Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Spicy Thai Sweet Potato Noodles


I've been playing with these (http://detoxinista.com/2012/01/sweet-potato-noodles-with-roasted-red-pepper-cream-sauce/) noodles and trying them in different recipes with pretty good results.  When I came across this recipe (http://asmallsnippet.com/2011/03/spicy-thai-noodles.html) I knew I had to try it.  My goal was to make it healthier without compromising the taste.  Instead of using the 3/4 cup of oil, I used 1/2 cup of sesame oil and heated it over low with 5 cloves of chopped garlic, 1 fresh large Thai chili, and about 4 inches of fresh sliced lemongrass.  If I made this again, I would put more Thai chili in.  Let this heat slowly, keeping a close eye on it, until the oil starts to sizzle.  Turn off heat and prepare veggies.  I did not strain the oil as the the recipe calls for.


The recipe calls for 1 lb of pasta.  Instead, I used my julienne peeler to shred 4 medium garnet yams.  (Sorry for the blurry photos!)



I was left with "cores" from the yams that I couldn't shred, so I put them in tin foil and baked them until soft.  (The next morning I mashed them with a fork and added homemade almond milk for breakfast - yum!)


Let the oil sit as long as possible to become really flavorful.  When you are ready to eat, turn on heat and add yam noodles, half a sliced red onion, and stir until the yam noodles are wilted but not mushy.  Mine still had a little crunch to them that I liked. 


Mix in the soy sauce and honey as the recipe calls for, but also add 6 tablespoons of vinegar as well.  I used a cinnamon basil vinegar my cousin made me for Christmas.  Also stir in 1 chopped red bell pepper and a can of white beans, drained.  You could easily sub another protein source here.  Plate your noodles and garnish with green onion and cilantro. 


This recipe makes excellent leftovers!  I chopped a fresh mango and put it on the side.  In the container on the right I have Chinese broccoli with mashed avocado mixed in and cinnamon basil vinegar on top.  This was a very filling lunch!




No comments: