Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Raw Breakfast & Intro

Hello, I'm Shae and I'm starting this blog primarily to keep track of successes and failures in my tiny kitchen.  I'll also throw in crafty bits and other musings.  Enjoy!

First up is my tomato with (mostly) raw mushroom cheese and basil breakfast:


It is inspired very loosely by Ani Phyo's Spanish Breakfast Scramble recipe:


I just made a huge batch of mushroom nut cheese yesterday and wanted to use that instead of making another nut mix like Ani calls for.  So instead,  I made what looks more like caprese salad using my nut cheese.  I just layered tomato slices, mushroom nut cheese (recipe below), truffle salt (if you don't have this in your kitchen drop everything and go buy it NOW), cracked black pepper, olive oil, and a basil leaf.  It was delicious and my non-vegan, non-raw, mushroom hating, very vegan tolerant boyfriend R even liked it :)

Mushroom Cheese Recipe:

Blend 2 parts nuts (I used almonds but prefer cashews) with 1 part water.  I used my vitamix and the plunger to really get this smooth.  It's ideal to soak the nuts overnight but I didn't.  You can use this right away (which I did) or let sit overnight in a sieve to drain out any excess water.  Then I added truffle salt, lemon juice, and nutritional yeast to taste.  Here comes the non-raw part of the cheese:  I cooked down chopped crimini mushrooms in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and garlic for about 15 minutes.  I pressed this mix on top of the nut cheese along with more truffle salt and dried parsley.  I was pretty happy with the way this came out considering I did it all last minute.

2 comments:

Salazar said...

Hooray! Sounds yummy. :) boo on the non-raw mushroom hating boyfriend. Guess you are just going to have to keep sneaking those mushrooms in :)

katianne said...

Nice pictures! I may stop by for some vegan cheese :)