Friday, September 02, 2011

Easy Little Bread and Felt Headband

I'm getting ready for a weekend in Hood River, OR.  I still need to pack and shop, so obviously I'm blogging instead :)

Today I've got this easy little bread recipe from Heidi Swanson.


I love Heidi's recipes.  She features vegan/vegetarian recipes only and focuses on healthy, whole ingredients.  I've tried countless recipes of hers that I just love.  Here are just a few that I'm thinking of now...

(this one has become a staple in my family and is requested each time I visit)

(click through to the NY Times recipe for this.  make extra and use on everything)

(great for the holidays)

(this is the best marinade I've found for tempeh.  keep the unused chipotles in the freezer to whip this up anytime)

OK, back to the bread.  


The only thing I changed on this recipe was that I substituted coconut oil for butter.  It was super easy and fast.  Of course I'm thrilled that it's completely whole grain and even has oats in there.  As a side note, even for recipes that call for white flour, I ALWAYS use white whole wheat flour that I buy at Trader Joe's.  This flour provides all the fiber that other whole wheat flours have, but since it's a blonder variety of wheat, it's light and makes an excellent substitution.  I served this bread with extra coconut oil for spreading and homemade jam that a friend gave me.  This loaf didn't survive more than an hour or so between the four of us (mom, JB, R & I)

And now for my latest headband...

This one is made of felt.  I've been wanting to make something that is mustard and grey colored for fall. 



I made a matching one for my mom as well!


3 comments:

MacNYellow said...

CUTE! I love it! Im going to need a headband as well... ahem. :)

Shaeleen said...

@macnyellow - got it!! :)

Anonymous said...

I love it!!!!!

YL