Wednesday, October 16, 2013

French Press Matcha Green Tea Latte


I have a secret obsession with Starbucks Green Tea Lattes.  This wouldn't be an issue if I didn't live in the Starbucks capitol of the world with Starbucks literally everywhere.  The biggest offender seems to be the Starbucks walking distance from my work.  It also wouldn't be an issue if a tall soy Starbucks Green Tea Latte wasn't $4.  After stumbling across this gorgeous post on making a cappuccino with a french press, I thought why not try the same method to make my beloved green tea latte.


I started by filling my mug with vanilla soymilk.  I typically don't buy soymilk and prefer almond milk instead, but the creamy texture and vanilla flavor of soymilk are perfect for this recipe.  


Pour the milk in a small saucepan and heat over very low heat.  If you're in a hurry, try heating your milk over medium heat and whisking it constantly to be sure you don't burn it.


Once the milk is hot, whisk in roughly 1 tablespoon of matcha green tea powder until smooth.


And this is where the magic happens - pour the milk into your french press and attach the lid.  Vigorously pump the french press for about 30-60 seconds until you reach your desired level of frothiness.  When I did this, my milk actually doubled in size.  Taste your latte and add sweetener if you wish.  I liked mine just the way it was with the vanilla soymilk.

Enjoy a perfectly-frothed lazy morning latte.


Recipe:
-12 oz plant-based milk of choice
-1 tablespoon matcha green tea powder
-optional: sweetener of choice

Heat milk in saucepan until hot, being careful not to burn milk.  Whisk in green tea powder and pour into french press.  Quickly pump french press until milk is foamy and enjoy!

No comments: