Monday, April 01, 2013

Holidays

For Easter, my family had a potluck brunch.  We missed R (he's working in Shanghai right now) but had a nice celebration.  My contribution was based on the Asian Noodle Salad recipe from Beauty Detox Foods, although I did alter a few ingredients.  You start by using a julienne peeler to slice zucchini, carrots, and an apple.  (If you want to have really fancy noodles, use a spiralizer.) 


I added a whole bunch of chopped cilantro.  I would also recommend onions here, but left them out for my brother.


The dressing recipe is called Asian Tang (also from Kimberly Snyder's new book.)  It's a blend of miso, soy sauce, ginger, lime juice, red pepper flakes, and water.


I mixed everything and added walnuts on top.


This salad was a real crowd pleaser. It got better as it sat for a few hours.  Tune got some belly rubs and naptime after brunch.


And now switching gears to Thanksgiving - wait, what?!

Yes, that's right.  I've wanted to post this for a while, and am adding it on to a "holiday" post.  For the last couple of years that I've lived near my brother, we've tried to make a tradition of the two of us (and our SOs) getting together on the morning of holidays for breakfast.  It's special to have some sibling time before the entire family gets together.  Last Thanksgiving, James hosted and made breakfast burritos.  I brought some overnight french toast and we were stuffed before we even made it to Thanksgiving dinner.


This burrito had hashbrowns, black beans, spinach (and eggs for the non-vegans).  We topped it with hot sauce and it was delish.  And this post wouldn't be complete without a picture of the chef himself.  What are sisters for? :)

 




No comments: